I love it.
I know people are calling it a “celebrity trend” and maybe it is… but it’s a good trend. Especially if it’s done for the right reasons (to be healthy! Increase veggie and fruit intake!).
Way back in 1999, my family went completely vegan for a year to help my sister strengthen her immune system; we all drank green juice and/or carrot juice every morning & I’m positive people thought we were complete weirdos because a) we lived in Chicago & it was winter (when you’re supposed to eat things like beef stew and potatoes) and b) being raw/vegan & juicing just wasn’t known or cool circa Y2K.
After years of hospital stays & scary health news, changing our family diet was the only thing that made a difference in my sister’s health. Not only was her immune system completely restored for the first time in her life, but nobody in the entire family was sick for the entire (never ending) Chicago winter... I think that speaks volumes.
I say all this to dispel the idea that this juicing thing is merely a “celebrity myth”… because I did it long before Gwenyth and Dr. Oz and personally witnessed its benefits.
Now, almost 15 years later, I’ve reinstated raw juices into my daily diet & love it:
- The amount of energy I have is incredible
- My skin feels so soft and I look more awake/rejuvenated
- My hair & nails grow more quickly
- I don’t feel like I was run over by a truck when I wake up
- No more aches or pains in my ankle when running (probably from turmeric in my juices)
- My taste buds have completely changed (I crave raw veggies now. Hi, radishes & hummus!)
- I feel healthier & haven’t really gotten sick
- My brain feels clear & I concentrate more easily
- My outlook on life is more positive - really!
A few points on how I approach juicing:
- I drink one or two green juices a day & don't necessarily use it to replace meals (except breakfast)
- Sometimes I will do something creative: sweet potato & ginger//beets & lemon
- I have done one full juice fast (3 days - used recipes from/followed The Blueprint Cleanse)
- I try to limit the fruit in each juice to half an apple or pear to stay away from too much sugar
- I don't think there's one way to juice that is the right way for everybody; everyone's body is differently & juicing might affect you in a different way
- I love adding fresh tumeric root & ginger to any combination
UPDATE: My "Go-To" Recipe:
2-3 Stalks of Celery
1 inch piece of fresh ginger root
handful of kale or spinach (I alternate between the two each day)
A couple of sprigs of parsley
1 large apple (sometimes 1 & a half, sometimes none!)
To put it simply? I am a green juice advocate & think everyone should at least try it for a season - it's absolutely worth it.***
**I don’t agree with the long juicing fasts for myself personally. Three-five days, maybe… but 30+? I just think there are better, healthier ways to cleanse your system/lose weight/whatever. I know the Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead guy did it, and maybe that was a good thing for him… but for a lot of people, I think there are better ways. But alas, that’s a post for another time).
*** Always check with your doctor before incorporating anything too crazy and/or different into your diet; there are thyroid and blood sugar conditions that can drastically influence the amount of certain types of raw veggies your body can handle (one of the biggest culprits being kale!)